Author: Holly Weeks
Goodreads Rating: 3.36
Publisher: Harvard Business Review Press
Your stomach's churning; you're hyperventilating -- you're in a badly deteriorating conversation at work. Such exchanges, which run the gamut from firing subordinates to parrying verbal attacks from colleagues, are so loaded with anger, confusion, and fear that most people handle them poorly: they avoid them, clamp down, or give in.
But dodging issues, appeasing difficult people, and mishandling tough encounters all carry a high price for managers and companies -- in the form of damaged relationships, ruined careers, and intensified problems.
In Failure to Communicate, Holly Weeks shows how to master the combat mentality, emotional maelstrom, and confusion that poison difficult conversations. Drawing on her many years as a consultant and coach to leaders and executives, the author explains:
· Why we turn to ineffective tactics when the heat is on
· How to avoid the worst pitfalls of difficult conversations, and how to pull yourself out if you fall in
· Ways to regain your balance and inject respect into stressful conversations, even when you've been confronted, infuriated, or wronged
· Strategies for mitigating aggression and defensiveness, and for clearing the fog of misconceptions
· How to get through the hardest conversations with your reputation and relationships intact
Using proven techniques paired with detailed real-life examples, Weeks equips you with the strategies and practices you need to transform even the toughest conversations.
New: These are new books which have been purchased from publishers and authors.
Almost New: These are books which have been read previously or are excess stock from bookshops and publishers.
Good: These are the books which have have been sourced from book lovers and are in very good condition. They may have signs of ageing but will be in pretty good condition.
Readable: These books may be old and have visible wear and tear signs.
Learn more about our condition criteria here.